Sunday, June 17, 2012

Park

Zack had a great time at the park as always. I found it kind of stressful this time---because of the other parents. A three-year-old tried to run Zack down at full speed with a tricycle right in front of his dad and I just barely caught him---and his dad didn't even say anything to him. I just took Zack away, but I thought there should have been some kind of repercussion for such an action. On the other end of the spectrum was a mom who was parenting everybody else's kids with her over-the-top rules---taking perfectly good little sticks and rocks away from kids because they were "dirty and dangerous" and throwing them in the trash---in these last two photos Zack is watching a two-year-old throwing a tantrum because she took his little rock away and threw it in the trash and kept lecturing the park in general about how rocks were not good toys. She also stopped Zack from climbing on a little bench because it wasn't meant for that---it was "meant to sit on" and it "isn't safe" to play on things in ways they weren't meant for---which seems like an anti-learning strategy to me and certainly anti-adventure if not anti-fun. In general both parents and kids that we meet in the parks are really great---I guess we're lucky that this is the first time we've meant any this.












- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment